Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Sporange

More about the title word later. Plans and packing are ongoing at C household for the trip to Bangladesh. This is phase 1 of the ramble. Ostensibly we are going to visit those who were not able to come to the summer functions of our marriage. As Mrs C and I have a large extended family (note understated tone) we have decided to invite them all round for two large gatherings (in Dhaka and Syhlet) so we don’t get exhausted and bloated my eating hundreds of sumptuous dinners. This is not to be mistaken for wedding party 4 and 5 (or was it 5 and 6 – I’m losing count!).

Anyway 3 Cs will be departing tomorrow together with about 50 bags. There’s too much drama in packing – I’d prefer to leave everything to the last minute. It’s amazing to know what you can live without – and if it’s important enough you can always buy it out there.

Back to Sporange. Occasionally busy office life is interspersed with random deep and meaningful conversations about the meaning of life and where are we all going and all that. Yesterday’s question was – is there a word that rhymes with orange? After much consternation, Mr T (my indispensable colleague) claimed that he had invented a word – sporange – to represent the cow-lick/matted feel to hair you get after wearing a baseball cap or construction hard hat for a long time. He has even sent emissaries to the far corners of Bicester to spread the message. Sadly for him, a simple question to the modern day Oracle of Delphi – Google – revealed that it is in fact a French word for a type of spore or fungus. Nice try Mr T. As for the answer to the question – there is a name of a Welsh mountain. Answers on the comments please.

More serious stuff next time.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Answers to which question? I'm glad that you and Andy use your time so productively in the office.

12:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sporange - a fungal infection??...MY FOOT. (No really, it's been causing me a bit of jip lately but I find that powder helps). Clearly this was an intriguing, yet distressing discovery by Mr. C, that threatens the very existence of my catchy hat-hair description.

Mind you, a bit of fungi here or there doesn't concern me. I am more troubled in my pursuit of worldwide acceptance of the word Sporange following the discovery of sporange.com. Please don't encourage them by logging on to this website, but suffice to say there ain't a baseball cap, hoodie, hard hat or trilby in sight. It says of itself: "Sporange is an educational program designed to help kids develop their thinking skills". Clearly this is a futile exercise and will die a death soon enough, and the true meaning of sporange shall be entertained.

The sporange will become of particular relevaznce to ginger kids, who have a heightened need for regular headgear. And of course, it rhymes with orange.

I am currently seeking Sporange advocates to cover the following regions: North-East, Midlands, and the Isle of White.

12:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to like this blog :) So glad you jumped on the bandwagon..

1:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It may not be known to the uninitiated, but PG Wodehouse created a character by the name of Percy Gorringe. The poem may be familiar to readers of 'Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit':

Caliban at Sunset

I stood with a man
Watching the sun go down.
The air was full of murmurous summer scents
And a brave breeze sang like a bugle
From a sky that smouldered in the west,
A sky of crimson, amethyst, gold and sepia
And blue as blue were the eyes of Helen
When she sat
Gazing from some high tower in Ilium
Upon the Grecian tents darkling below.
And he,
This man who stood beside me,
Gaped like some dull, half-witted animal
And said,
"I say,
Doesn't that sunset remind you
Of a slice
Of underdone roast beef?"

1:53 pm  
Blogger mad as a cambridge bicycle said...

My dear Mrs C,

I'm afraid you're going to have to do better than that if you want to compete with the inspiring linguistic treats herein. And to think he blogged twice in 2 days! Why, you will be losing your ardent fans to your husband in no time at all if you're not careful, heed my warning, I prithee!

Your biking sister

3:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mij I must protest at your cutting remarks. Mrs C is a sensitive plant and she feels it deeply. I fear the harsh desert climate has roughened your gentle nature.

10:56 am  
Blogger mad as a cambridge bicycle said...

ok, I feel bad. But you know, it's only because I always loved her blog the most, only she never blogs enough. But her blogging frequency has grown by leaps and strides so I suppose the key here is encouragement and praise.

I'm sorry mrs C.

3:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is actually hilarious, keep it up

11:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A rhyme with orange, just for Mr C;-

"Local Note"
In Sparkill buried lies that man of mark.
Who brought the Obelisk to Central Park,
Redoubtable Commander H.H. Gorringe,
Whose name supplies the long-sought rhyme for "orange."

--by Arthur Guiterman

12:49 pm  
Blogger dazey said...

o my loooord i simply dont know wat to say....

1:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home